12 October 2006

Cleanliness is Next to Godliness Post Script & A Couple Prayer Requests

In part of my grieving process I have looked over the card the LCHC pharmacy staff gave me before my return to the UK many times. Jose advised, "Don't make the pharmacist mad," in reference to me seeking a job as a technician in the UK. Also, my good friend, Caryn, sent me a sweet note of comfort. This made me wish I had brought my "Old Letters" box.

Some Christmases ago, my sister Rebecca (aka the divine Ms. Sometimes) made me a box to keep special letters and cards. She painted a wooden box and decoupaged a variety of stamps from around the world on it. Inside the cover was this poem:

Old Letters

I keep your letters for a rainy day;
Then take them out and read them all again.
So, reading, I forget that skies are grey,
And pathways sodden under falling rain.

They are so full of simple friendliness?
Of understanding of the things I love.
No phrase obscure or vague, to make me guess,
No deep philosophy my soul to move.

And though your eyes are ?lifted to the hills?
You still keep faith with earth, and earthly things;
Prosaic duty all your hour fills
The while you listen for the beat of wings.

You have read deeply in the book of life,
And you have added lines that I shall keep
To be a shield against the petty strife
Until such time as I shall fall asleep.

So when I would forget that skies are grey
I read your letters on a rainy day.

-Adele Jordan Tarr

Wishing I had that box with me reminded me of the "next to cleanliness box" from my 6 October post. The laundry detergent box or an old cigar box or some other box that has been saved from the bin would make a great "Old Letters" box for someone you love.

Also, a few prayer requests:

  • I am still jobless. I did not get the job for which I interviewed. However, it sounds like they have another job for me. It's all a long story. Too annoying/stressful to repeat here. I have a meeting at the hospital on Monday to iron out the details. Please pray that everything gets worked out successfully.
  • Sara, the pharmacy director at Lawndale, needs to start interviewing pharmacy technicians. If you've ever had to hire anyone, you know that sleeping on a bed of nails sounds like more fun. Plus, she has to find someone while she is still mourning Jose. Please pray that the right person for the job would be found and that God would comfort all the pharmacy staff.
  • Violence tends to beget violence. Please pray that the violence that killed Jose would stop there. Please also pray for the city of Chicago that it would become a place of peace and healing.

Thank you for your prayers and thank you for reading my blog.

No comments: