23 February 2008

133% Recycled--It's in the bag!

In Cambridge today, we reached a high of 12C (54F for those of you across the pond). Anytime it approaches moderate temperatures and the sun threatens to make an appearance, we hang our washing outside. I know this is very strange to American sensibilities where everyone has their own dryer.* But when you use most of your extra space (which isn't much) hanging your washing indoors, you might be tempted to hang stuff outside in almost any weather.

Which brings me to share with you a cool site. http://www.myrecycledbags.com/ has crochet patterns for bags made out of grocery carrier bags and VHS tape. I was looking for a pattern for a clutch handbag (a topic for another post) and stumbled onto this site. I was especially intrigued by the clothespin/peg bag. http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/08/11/crochet-a-recycled-clothes-pin-bag/ I didn't use her pattern for my bag, but it was my inspiration.






I used bags from Sainsbury's(http://www.sainsburys.co.uk)%20which/ which are a cool colour and are already made of 33% recycled materials.

*Tyndale House, where we live, has one dryer to be shared by all the family residences (>6 families). It costs one pound for each load and there is usually a queue. I am by no means complaining about this. It helps us to use it wisely.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow that's cool. If I crocheted, that would be for me

Kristen said...

A future birthday or Christmas present for you, maybe, Em?

The Butlers said...

VHS tape? That's brilliant! We could probably find some on the street, entangled in the trees on a busy corner. (I never could understand that!)

Hanging wash out is almost like a luxury; drying off with crunchy line-dried towels is one of the best feelings! I don't know how it happens, but even though we're so close to I-55, our clothes still manage to smell fresh.

I hope all is well with you, Kristen. I'm glad to hear you are so warmly received at Tyndale House. It would be my privilege to give you a warm reception whenever you find yourself in Chicago.

Warmly,

Pamela